What Genetic Health Screens should my Breed Have?
Search OFA for Health Tested Dogs
QUICKSEARCH a Dog
For more options...
Thyroid Sample Submission Guidelines
- The veterinarian or owner must obtain the "Application
for Thyroid Database.
- The veterinarian and owner must complete their respective portions of
- A check for $15.00 payable to the OFA and the completed OFA form must
accompany the specimen.
- The veterinarian should request the "OFA Thyroid Panel."
- Two milliliters (2mL) of serum are needed for testing. The serum sample
must be from freshly collected blood. Use a plain "red-top"
tube for blood collection. Do not use a serum separator tube with clot
additives or any other type of plasma collection tube. After collection,
place the blood sample in the refrigerator for 60 to 90 minutes to allow
clotting. Centrifuge, collect the serum, and transfer to a plain plastic
or glass tube suitable for shipping. Clearly label the sample with the
owner's name, animal's identification, date of blood collections, and
"OFA Thyroid Panel." If the specimen is to be stored for more
than 12 hours prior to shipping, frozen storage is recommended.
- Ship to the chosen lab address via an overnight courier service. It is
recommended that all specimens be packaged properly and shipped so they
are received either chilled or frozen. Serum samples arriving unchilled
or at room temperature within 48 hours of the collection date will be
accepted. However, samples arriving after this time must be received either
chilled or frozen in order to be accepted for registry testing. Contact
the laboratory if you have any questions or further instructions are needed.
- Please do not submit whole blood, clotted blood, or plasma.
- Severely lipemic or hemolyzed specimens are also unacceptable.
- Female dogs should not be tested during an estrus cycle.
- The date of last routine vaccination should be noted on the OFA application.
- Test results will be mailed or faxed only to the submitting veterinarian
and the OFA. Results will not be available from the laboratory by telephone.
The OFA will send a report to the owner.